“One team, one family”
The Essex County Bulldog’s Rugby Program is committed to providing a superior rugby experience for Essex County boys and girls from 1st grade to high school. Founded in 2009, the club has quickly developed into one of the elite youth rugby programs in New England. We draw players from all over the Essex county region and offer programs for boys and girls of all ages and abilities.
We’re always looking for new players who want to experience the thrill of playing rugby! No experience is necessary to play and enjoy rugby. Everybody starts somewhere and Essex will teach you everything you need to know to enjoy the sport.
- U19/High School Boys Tackle Rugby (9th-12th grade)
- U19/High School Girls Tackle Rugby (9th-12th grade)
- Coed Middle School Tackle Rugby (7th & 8th grade)
- Coed Youth Tackle Rugby (5th & 6th grade)
- Coed Rookie Flag Rugby (1st-6th grade)
The Bulldogs do not hold tryouts
It’s pretty simple, you can’t get better if you don’t play. If you play rugby with the Bulldogs, you are guaranteed to get playing time in scrimmages and live matches to develop your skills and bond with your teammates.
What you need to play
- Jersey (provided by the club)
- Rugby shorts (can be purchased online)
- Cleats (“boots”): Soccer, football, or rugby cleats are all acceptable
Games and practices
Our season begins in May and runs through the early summer. Practices and home matches are held at either Amesbury Sports Park (Amesbury, MA) or Pipestave Hill Athletic Fields (West Newbury, MA).
The team is a member of the Massachusetts Youth Rugby Organization and generally plays under Rugby Union rules (i.e., 15 players per side). The Bulldogs play teams from Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Rhode Island.
We invite you to join our club and become part of one of the fastest growing and most exciting sport around.